Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New York City In 6 x 6 Inches

On a recent trip to New York City, I found my latest inspiration.  While exploring Greenwich Village, I wandered across the Charmingwall Gallery (http://store.6x6gallery.com/) and witnessed their  6 x 6 Project.  They had the brilliant idea to each month, exhibit a new collection of original art; each and every piece on a six inch square canvas.

"This small and consistent size allows the gallery to show the works of a large and diverse group of artists every month.  It also allows collectors the opportunity to curate their own selection of artwork at an identical size that will look great when hung together."
The site of the gallery's white wall covered in a myriad of 6 x 6 works really captured my imagination.  The canvas size was the only thing they had in common; each had it's own style and technique; but were united as an overall work of art.  Every time I would look at the wall I focused on a different piece and saw something different.




For $20 you can buy one of their 6 x 6 canvases and when you've completed your masterpiece, submit it, set the price and have it hang in the gallery for 1 month.  I absolutely love this idea!  I wish I had known about it before my trip and could have participated, hand delivering a few pieces to the gallery.  Unfortunately their 6x6 project wraps up at the end of this month.

I think the 6 x 6 project would make an awesome community art project.  I would love to gather works from all different artists in my area (or all over the world for that matter) and display them.  Alas, I have no gallery.
What I can do is take the same idea onto a wall in my home....a huge art piece made up of 6 x 6 canvases, one that can constantly change and stay interesting.

So I've started working on my own 6 x 6 project.  Hopefully in the future I can add other artists and do something larger with it, but in the meantime, I'll start producing my own collection.  And I'll post my progress here.....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment